ESB International worked with Sabah Electricity SDN BHD (SESB) through a management and engineering audit to ensure its investment in power generation assets while minimising risks for all stakeholders.
In Malaysia, periodic audits are a regulatory requirement, undertaken every four years by independent consultants appointed by competitive tender. ESB International visited head office departments and selected power stations to conduct interviews with key staff and carry out plant inspections.
The audits assessed the performance of power stations against industry benchmarks. Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) that were evaluated covered all significant performance, cost, and risk areas. Strengths, weaknesses and opportunities were identified, and changes and improvements were recommended.
What we delivered
Our audit of SESB provided a cost-effective review of its business operations as well as an improvement plan involving all aspects of power generation.
The audits were based on IEEE Standards and were undertaken by experts in all areas of audit:
- Performance of Power Stations
- Maintenance practices
- Material management and Procurement
- Emergency response performance
- Safety, Health, Environmental and Quality management
- Adequacy and competency of manpower
- Notable prevailing conditions and influences were observed and reported
- Provided avenues to reduce cost and risk while maximising plant performance
- Together with the client more than 30 actions plans were agreed
Our assessment involved the audit/review of compliance to conditions prevailing under Power Purchase Agreements (PPA).
ESB International utilise expertise from our parent company, ESB to deliver audits and recommendations based on our extensive Operations and Maintenance experience in dealing with and solving problems to maximise plant value.
Recommendations included reference to systems, standards and guidelines to establish, enable and support sustained improvement.