ESB International's Managing Director Sean Atkinson and Operations Manager Seamus Fitzgerald travelled to Liberia last week to meet with the region's key leaders and stakeholders while overseeing the Liberia Electricity Corporation (LEC) project efforts.
The Liberia Electricity Corporation (LEC) has been operated by an ESB International Management Services Contract team managed by LEC CEO Paschal Buckley for the last four and a half years. Since 2018, the number of people in Liberia with access to mains electricity has increased from 140,000 to over one million in 2022.
The team is nearing the end of its contract after two successful extensions, and after the lifting of travel restrictions, this was a timely visit for ESB International.
During the visit, the ESB International management team successfully:
- Reviewed the MSC team's progress to understand the challenges faced and solutions delivered. The team attended the LEC Board meeting and visited sites and local communities serviced by LEC electricity.
- Recognised and acknowledged the MSC team for its commitment and resilience in delivering infrastructure to the region.
- Engaged with and acknowledged the support of key energy sector stakeholders from domestic and international organisations to build on the MSC team's robust relationships.
The ESB International team was honoured to meet with the region's energy stakeholders and diplomatic leaders, including:
- Minister of Mines and Energy, Honourable Gesler E Murray
- Chairman of the LEC Board, Honourable Monie R. Captan
- HE Claire Buckley, Irish Ambassador to Liberia and Sierra Leone
- HE Michael McCarthy, US Ambassador to Liberia
- HE Laurent Delahouse, EU Ambassador to Liberia
- HE Jakob Haselhuber, German Ambassador to Liberia
Meetings with Stakeholders
Her Excellency, Claire Buckley Irish Ambassador to Sierra Leone and Liberia with Paschal Buckley CEO LEC
L-R Billy Richardson LEC, Prish Govender LEC, Simon McCormack Embassy of Ireland, Muntungwa Mugala LEC, Kate O’Donnell Irish Charge d’Affaire, Paschal Buckley CEO LEC, HE Claire Buckley Irish Ambassador, Seamus Fitzgerald ESB International, Sam Zimbe LEC, Philip Jacques LEC
His Excellency, Michael McCarthy, US Ambassador to Liberia with L-R Paschal Buckley CEO LEC, HE Ambassador Michael McCarthy US Ambassador to Liberia, Sean Atkinson ESB International and Seamus Fitzgerald ESB International.
His Excellency, Michael McCarthy, US Ambassador to Liberia with L-R Philip Jacques LEC, Billy Richardson LEC, Seamus Fitzgerald ESB International, Muntungwa Mugala LEC, John Pasch USAid, Sam Zimbe LEC, Sarah Zimbe, Sean Atkinson ESB International, HE. Michael McCarthy US Ambassador to Liberia, Rebekeh Eubank USAid, Noel Walsh LEC, Paschal Buckley CEO LEC, Michael Sheehan LEC, Steve Thompson LEC, Prish Govender LEC.
Seamus Fitzgerald ESB International making a presentation of a cut glass cooling tower to Hon. Monie R. Captan, Chairman of the Board of LEC.
L-R Hon. Charles Bright, Mem. Jacob Fayad, Reverend Samuel Reeves (President Elect Liberia Council of Churches),Mem. Victoria Tewh, Hon Gesler E. Murray Minister of Mines & Energy, Hon. Monie R. Captan Chairman of the Board, Seamus Fitzgerald ESB International, Hon. Frank Musah Dean Jr. Minister of Justice, Paschal Buckley CEO & Board Secretary, Hon. Samuel D. Tweah Minister of Finance & Development Planning.
ESB International are a leading global energy engineering consultancy established in 1975. For five decades, from our Dublin Headquarters, we have delivered international capital and transformational projects in over 120 countries around the world.
We also have a 46-year legacy in transmission and distribution in the Middle East with 100 people based in our Bahrain hub which is in operation since 1976. We have been involved in a long list of network and distribution projects in the country and are still heavily involved in many major energy projects in the Kingdom.
In Oman we are working with policymakers and leaders in the country who implement independent power producers (IPPs), de-centralisation and a spot price market. We are currently embedded in the fabric of this diversification on a range of consultancy services ranging from technical advisory to strategic advisory across the full energy value chain from generation to transmission.
ESB International has particular experience in the following areas:
- Renewable business of scale: Wind, solar, biomass and tidal
- Transmission & Distribution: Networks up to 400 kV
- Smart Energy networks including grids and metering
- Hydro: Pumped Storage
- Gas Turbine: CCGT and OCGT technologies and asset management