Financial Controller Aisling Kennelly, Renewable Pilot Project Manager John Quinn and Head of Operations Seamus Fitzgerald at Renewable Pilot Project site which generates 5MW of wind and solar power.
During a recent visit to the Kingdom of Bahrain, ESB International Operations Manager Seamus Fitzgerald, ESB International Financial Controller Aisling Kennelly, and ESB International Country Manager Brendan Stafford met with valued clients and stakeholders. This was a significant opportunity to discuss future potential projects that will be required to meet Bahrain's growing infrastructural needs.
During the visit, the team toured important project sites, including:
- The Hawar Island Submarine Cable project beach landing site at Ras Al Barr in South Bahrain. Management visited the location of the landing point for the three 66kV submarine cables and the transition joint chambers, along with the land cable route installation works toward Durrat Al Bahrain 220kV Substation.
- The recently commissioned renewable Pilot Project site consisting of 5MW of wind and solar power.
- New East Riffa 66/11kV Substation on the day before energisation. This green field GIS substation project was completed within ten months from site clearance to the energisation date, a new record for ESB International in Bahrain.
- The team also visited the Ras Al Qurayn 400kV Substation site, energised in 2020, the first 400kV Substation commissioned in Bahrain under the consultancy of ESB International.
In addition, the trip provided an opportunity to meet with the ESB International project team that has mobilised to site to act as Alba's Owners Engineers for the construction works for the new Power Block 4 associated with PS5.
Seamus Fitzgerald, Aisling Kennelly, John Quinn outside Ras Al Qurayn 400kV substation. This is the first 400kV substation commissioned with ESB International as the consultant.
ESB International Team at the newly constructed New East Riffa 66kV Substation which was completed within ten months from site clearance to the energisation date, a new record for ESB International in Bahrain.
Resident Engineer Mark Mooney, Head of Operations, Seamus Fitzgerald, Financial Controller Aisling Kennelly, Bahrain Country Manager Brendan Stafford, Site Engineer Biju Vijayan along with three colleagues from engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) contractor Al Gihaz.
ESB International are a leading global energy engineering consultancy established in 1975. For five decades, from our Dublin Headquarters, we have delivered international capital and transformational projects in over 120 countries around the world.
We also have a 46-year legacy in transmission and distribution in the Middle East with 100 people based in our Bahrain hub which is in operation since 1976. We have been involved in a long list of network and distribution projects in the country and are still heavily involved in many major energy projects in the Kingdom.
In Oman we are working with policymakers and leaders in the country who implement independent power producers (IPPs), de-centralisation and a spot price market. We are currently embedded in the fabric of this diversification on a range of consultancy services ranging from technical advisory to strategic advisory across the full energy value chain from generation to transmission.
ESB International has particular experience in the following areas:
- Renewable business of scale: Wind, solar, biomass and tidal
- Transmission & Distribution: Networks up to 400 kV
- Smart Energy networks including grids and metering
- Hydro: Pumped Storage
- Gas Turbine: CCGT and OCGT technologies and asset management