Zanzibar is completely reliant on electricity supply from mainland Tanzania. The existing interconnector came to the end of its useful life expectancy and suffered from a series of breakdowns.
The Millennium Challenge Corporation funded a second 100 MW interconnector to provide a long-term, modern and reliable supply to the island.
Responsible for electricity generation, transmission and distribution on mainland Tanzania and Zanzibar are Tanzania Electric Supply Company (TANESCO) and Zanzibar Electricity Corporation (ZESCO).
- The Challenge
Managing the successful delivery of a 132 kV interconnector including a 37 kilometre single submarine cable traversing a sensitive marine environment, overhead line construction in dense urban areas and substation interconnector components.
- The Solution
ESB International acted as owner’s engineer, and project managed all aspects of the interconnector from mainland Tanzania to Zanzibar. There was significant co-ordination between the implementing the utilities TANESCO and ZESCO and Contractors to ensure timely completion of submarine cable, overhead line and substation interconnector components.
What we delivered
Best practice project and contract management to deliver:
- 132 kV, 100 MW 3 core (copper), cross linked polythene submarine cable from Tanzania to Zanzibar.
- Total of 39 kilometres of 132 kV of overhead line in Tanzania and Zanzibar.
- New and extended 132 kV substations.
- This project secured long-term electricity supply to the island nation.
- Increased interconnector capacity to 100 MW allowing ZESCO grow their customer base
- Overall development in the island and a reduction in utility costs.
What we do
We offer a comprehensive range of solutions for both public and private clients, right through the life cycle of their projects and the energy value chain.